Join Our In-studio Classes, Book Online Now!Discover the thrill of ballroom dancing for yourself! Become the dancer you always wanted to be...
Arthur Murray Process
How Students are taught
- You will start with a 30-minute sample Private Lesson.
- Your first Starter Program will be an introductory course. Here you will learn the basics to several different popular dances to see which ones you like and can learn the quickest and easiest.
- Your Instructor will explain the Medal Standards — Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Gold Bar — that are taught and will plan a personalized dance program to fulfill your specific needs and desires.
- The majority of students who come to an Arthur Murray Dance School are interested in becoming good social dancers and our Medalist programs will help you achieve that goal.
- The degree of dancing you will achieve varies depending on your desire, goals, commitment and interest.
- Arthur Murray Dance Schools can train you in the latest techniques, steps, and styles. Indeed, we boast some of the top competitive couples in the world today.
- Our Certified Instructors are carefully selected and thoroughly trained in the exclusive Arthur Murray teaching method to assure you the finest instruction in dancing.
- In addition to your regular dance instructor, you will receive cross-training and progress checks as well as specialized coaching from the entire team at your studio! This ensures you are a well-rounded dancer and gives you the benefit of multiple perspectives and diverse experience.
- Periodically, you will have exchange lessons with other Instructors so you can experience adapting to a variety of dance partners and styles.
- During your one-on-one Private Lesson, you will receive personalized instruction that will help you achieve your goals in dancing.
- Your Instructor will spend the time necessary on technique, styling, and general dance improvement.
- An up-to-date record of everything you have learned will also kept as part of your instruction.
- Personal Lessons are scheduled in advance, by appointment.
- Small Semi-Private Classes give you the opportunity to dance with a variety of partners, develop good habits, and meet other students in the Studios.
- Your Instructor will provide a calendar of the Semi-Private Classes and will recommend the best selection of classes to attend for your learning level. Semi-Private Classes do not need to be reserved in advance to give you flexibility in scheduling. (Regular Personal Lesson schedules must be maintained to allow class attendance.) The most successful students consistently attend as many classes as possible; you may come as your schedule permits.
- In our small Semi-Private Classes we emphasize technique, style and variation of patterns. You may learn new combinations, refresh familiar steps, or gain exposure to enhanced dance elements.
Practice Sessions & Parties
- Social Practice Sessions / Mixers / Mingles and in-Studio dance Parties turn “fear factor” into FUN factor!
- These social events are great exercise, provide an easy way to review what you’ve been learning in your Personal Lessons and Group Classes, and a give you a chance to mingle with other students.
- Practice Sessions provide a time for you and fellow students to try out new dance skills with the added benefit of your Instructors’ help with questions and adjustments.
- Dance Parties are like “dress rehearsals” for all your special occasions. In our relaxed, comfortable, party atmosphere you’ll have fun dancing with everyone while your Instructors will still be available to guide your steps as needed. Life is a party at Arthur Murray!
- Our Annual Student Medal Ball Holiday Gala & Dance Graduation honors students who “graduate” from one level of their Medalist Standards dance program to the next.
- Medal Balls join together several Arthur Murray Dance Schools to enjoy an elegant evening of dancing and celebrating.
- Students and guests alike revel not only in the students’ graduation, but also highlight the year’s accomplishments with a gourmet dinner and professional show.
Spotlights, Showcases, & Arthur Awards
- Spotlight (Freestyles) Nights are a time to demonstrate what you’ve been discovering and practicing in all your sessions. These no-pressure dance evenings are hosted in a lively, familiar social setting: your home Studios! Spotlight Nights are designed to help build confidence in your dancing, to help progress your social dancing skills, and to continue preparing you for other events.
- Showcase (Choreographed Routines) Nights provide a wonderful chance to present individualized choreography. These routines make an exciting addition to your Medalist Program because they allow you to develop showmanship and musical expression along with your social and performance dance skills.
- Arthur Awards weekends — are part recital, part performance, and part competition rehearsal. Students savor the thrill of performing social dances or choreographed pieces “on stage,” and everyone delights in seeing professional exhibitions by your Instructors. As a recital opportunity, it’s the perfect time to demonstrate your dance progress; as a competition rehearsal, it’s great to have your supportive Studio “fans” cheering for you before taking your dancing “on the road.”
One-Day Events & Dance-O-Ramas
- Local or regional One-Day Events take us out of our home Studios and expand the Spotlights / Showcases / Arthur Awards excitement to include participants from other Studios. These next-level performances prepare you for larger audiences, advance your performance skills, and show you the fun side of Arthur Murray competitions! Some social dancing, the awards show, and a warm, supportive audience complete the event.
- A Dance-O-Rama (DOR or DanceSport Competition) is an exhilarating multi-day event that brings students together from many Arthur Murray Dance Schools to compete, at their level, in dance styles of their choosing.
- You have the chance to display polished techniques, artistry, and choreography learned in training; professional competitors show us their specialized mastery; and your dance family gathers for one of the high points of the Arthur Murray lifestyle. Many dancers take advantage of the DOR experience to gain “backstage” access to performing “on stage,” to explore the many benefits of preparing for competitions, or to travel to exceptional vacation destinations.